Using whole oranges is a great way to make a beautifully moist cake. I have had a few requests for the recipe for this orange cake served at our recent launch event. I love a recipe with ingredients that I always have available in my kitchen. This is a perfect example of this.
- 3 small oranges
- 180g butter
- 1 cup caster suger
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- Cook oranges for 1 hour in a covered saucepan with water that is about 5cm deep. Monitor water and top up if required
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin
- Chop oranges in half, remove pips then blend in food processor to form a smooth paste
- Soften butter (microwave for 30 seconds)
- Cream sugar and butter together
- Add eggs and mix
- Add flour and blended oranges
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin to cool on a wire rack.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into pieces
I cut the edges off then cut the cake into 25 equal pieces. I find these are too tall to ice so I then cut each piece in half.
- 200g icing sugar
- 125g butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- Soften butter (microwave for 20 seconds)
- Add icing sugar and beat for 5 minutes
- Add water and beat for a further 2 minutes
- Pipe onto cut pieces of cake
- Decorate with a sprinkle of orange jelly crystals
Have you got a backup recipe that you can rely on when you need to whip something up?