A positive attitude makes it easier for you to recognise new opportunities, conceive new ideas, focus on goals and see things from a different point of view. This in turn increases your chances of achieving success. By taking a few simple steps to adopt a more optimistic and positive attitude, you can appreciate both immediate and long term benefits.
“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.” Winston Churchill
1. What you do every day will turn into a habit
Choose actions that will lead you to success and repeat them every day. In time, they will become automatic, not requiring thought, attention or effort. There are many good habits you can adopt or improve such as:
- The way you start your day – begin your day feeling motivated
- Be on time
- Acknowledge and be grateful for what you have – slow down and take time to notice what is going well
- Celebrate success
- Stay calm in difficult situations
- Set realistic goals
- Smile more
- Avoid making excuses
“Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future.” Deepak Chopra
2. Treat your time like money in the bank
What do you spend it on? Don’t waste your time. Use it well. Spend it on things that add value and gets you somewhere. If you feel overwhelmed by what you have to do, pay attention to how you are spending your time.
3. Adopt an attitude of calmness
Maintaining a positive attitude during stressful times can be challenging. Practice daily habits that keep your stress levels under control. This could include:
- Get enough sleep to recharge your brain
- Spend time with other people
- Reframe your perspective – step back from the situation and look at the big picture
- Relax your body and breath
“Nothing gives a person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances.” Thomas Jefferson
It is easy to blame your negativity on all kinds of outside forces—fate, experiences, parents, relationships. When you blame others for what you are going through, you deny responsibility and perpetuate the problem. Stop giving your power away and start taking responsibility for your life. Next time something goes wrong, don’t point the finger of blame. Nothing is stopping you from changing your attitude. It is a choice you can consciously make at any point when you are willing to.